Wednesday, October 16, 2019

About my brother Dale














  I call him Dale. Most call him Gary. Or Coop. But to me, He is my brother. Out of the 5 kids that came from my dad, He is the only one I share mutual DNA with. Mom and Dad's moments of clarity and fidelity and faithfulness are shared between us both. I've never written on my blog about any person but Jesus. To me, He has exemplified who and what and how, Jesus was and is. Granted, he is not perfect and there will not be any statues erected in his name, but to me, hell I'll go ahead and say it. Besides Jesus, this man is my hero. He deserves a book, but all I can give him are these words.

  When I was a kid I recall hot wheels and mud pies, WWF wrestling and broken bones and stitches; climbing trees and shooting stars. Those days of my youth spent learning about life was never without my brother Dale. He was always, there on that ride I consider now the best days of my life. My brother reminds me of my innocence. That is priceless to me. He has never played the role of judge and jury. Just an advocate because thats what love really does.

  I recall the day when we were kids he caught a big channel cat out at Weber's lake. Mom grabbed her Vivitar camera but that was unnecessary, for that moment was seared into my memory bank forever. That day he was again a hero to me. That fish was 22 inches long...might as well have been a mile.  That's how I recall it. The smile on his face didn't match the awe I felt in my heart. I knew that day that he was a better fisher than dad was. Dad knew that too. We all knew it. I cannot now count the memories I've made upon the banks of the waters I've made with Dale,  but no matter how many, just one remains. It's that day we both knew what a fine fisher of fish he had become, and would be. To this day I swear, its the biggest fish I've ever seen.

  I've dug deep into my head and can't think of a time he ever asked me for anything. Not a dime,  just my time. I mean really, how can you thank someone for character like that? Little does he know how many prayers I've sent up over his well being and happiness.  That's the best that I can offer at times. When he is down, so am I. When he wins, I do too. You just can't make that up.

  So, how do you thank your hero in life? What can you say to someone that continually saves you? You get down on your humble knees and thank God to His face for giving you someone in your life who loves you regardless of you. Thats what God gave me. A brother. A brother who knows me and loves me,  and for that, I am forever thankful. And grateful. And blessed by his presence in my little life.
 


 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment